Monday, August 15, 2011

A Life of Cartoons

I love cartoons. Not just animation, which I love as an art form of its own, but cartoons. Like most of us this all started for me with Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote vs. Roadrunner, and Porky Pig explaining "that's all folks!" Then things got more sophisticated with Johnny Quest, Super Friends, and G.I. Joe. By the time my college years rolled around I was hooked on The Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, and Ren & Stimpy. Now I am playing along as my own kids discover all of these and much, much more.

What is it about the fantasies that can be portrayed in cartoons? The unnecessary, exaggerated violence? The grade school morality? The bitter satire, and the just plain stupid that make it all so brilliant? Sometimes when I am watching cartoons I feel so relaxed; the unreal portrayals can make the real world seem so far away. And even hilarious.

No comments: